Sunday, January 4, 2015

Mia L. Carey, M.A.


Well, I could apologize for not posting in a while...but I've been busy. I promise 2015 will see many more blog updates about my progress. So here are my top six updates since my last post.

1. Most importantly: I received my Master's Degree from the University of Florida last month. After eight months of tireless work my thesis was completed with minimal edits, mostly rearranging some pages adding and deleting tables. I presented by M.A. committee with a roughly a 130 page " publishable paper" and an additional 30 page appendix in October and defended successfully on November 18th. We discussed what my next steps were for getting the "paper" ready for a journal ( hopefully H.A.).

2. I found myself engaged in a community archaeology project. This fall I took a class with Dr. Peter Schmidt and he required us to write a research paper based on our engagement with a community. Since I had no active research or research prospects in Florida, I received permission from Dr. Ruth Trocolli at the DC Historic Preservation Office to discuss what we had been attempting to do with the Yarrow Mamout project at 3324 Dent Place. There will be a separate post on this due to its significance and it's potential to become my dissertation project =].

3. I presented two posters on the preliminary results of my thesis at the South Eastern Conference on Historical Sites Archaeology and the Eastern States Archaeology Federation.

4. This semester I'm presenting an oral presentation at the SHA conference in Seattle on the completed analysis and presenting my community archaeology paper in a cemetery session at the Mid-Atlantic Archaeology Conference in Ocean City in March.

5. I'm entering my community archaeology paper into a $1,000 paper contest in D.C.

6. People are reading my blog posts and seeking my advice! Thanks so much for the support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment