Monday, June 9, 2014

Summer 2014 Plans


Alright y'all time for a new post....

I'll keep it light this time and just share my summer plans and my summer reading list.

Summer Plans

T H E S I S
By far the most important task on my to do list is finishing my thesis. Have a working title, but I think I'm going to rewrite the introduction. The identification is complete as of May 27th (YAY!!), so now its time to work on analyzing the data and writing the discussion section. Some pretty boring stuff right now generating the charts BUT this is probably the easiest part of any analysis, at least to me.

D I S T R I C T   L E A D E R S H I P   P R O G R A M
I was accepted into the summer cohort of the District of Columbia's District Leadership Program, a 12 week government internship that focuses on preparing the future leaders of the District. Being that I LOVE DC, I LOVE ARCHAEOLOGY & HISTORIC PRESERVATION, and I LOVE the staff in the DC SHPO office it seems like a great opportunity for me to network, grow personally & professionally, and just enjoy being back in the city. If all goes well, I should have a dissertation site or sites narrowed down and some good contacts at the Smithsonian.

Through the internship I'll be working in Georgetown at the site of Yarrow Mamout, a Muslim slave who was able to eventually purchase property in D.C.; accessioning new/ old collections at the SHPO office,  and community outreach. Be on the look out for future posts about the Day of Archaeology event we're hosting in July and the highlights of the Phase I investigation.

G E T T I N G   M Y   M O T O R C Y C L E   L I C E N S E
This is the tricky one. It's something I've wanted for a while and I'll finally have the extra money to get it done. Though I am an adult, I would like to get my father's blessing before just up and buying a bike (he's worried about my safety and any obstacles preventing me from getting those three letters behind my name.

Other than these, I'll just be enjoying life, preparing abstracts for conferences, and learning as much as I can. I've picked out a few books below that I'm hoping to get a chance to read. 

Summer Reading List
  • From Slave Ship to Harvard: Yarrow Mamout and the History of an African American Family x James Johnston
  • Black Hunger: Soul Food and America x Doris Dewitt
  • Black Slaveowners: Free Black Slave Masters in South Carolina, 1790-1860 x Larry Koge


6:20 am comes quick! Peace & Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment